RUNDU: Two young men accused of brutally killing a security guard at Ngepi Camp last Sunday pleaded not guilty to the two charges of murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances during their first appearance in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
The two suspects Kandjeke Muhoka, 21, and Mathews Ihemba, 19, were arrested by the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) Tuesday at the Divayi village.
After being informed of their rights to engage a legal representation of their own choice, the accused after having pleaded not guilty indicated that they will conduct their own defense.
Rundu Magistrate Victor Nyazo then postponed the case to 08 October this year for further police investigations. The accused persons were remanded in custody until their next court remanded.
The guard at the tourist camp, situated some 220km east of Rundu, was brutally stabbed several times with an unknown sharp object before his arms and legs were tied together. He died.
After attacking the security guard, the perpetrators proceeded to break into the camp office, and stole money and other items worth N.dollars 7 000.
NamPol’s Kavango regional acting Crime Investigation’s Coordinator, Detective Inspector Chrispin Mubebo told earlier that the two suspects are from the Divayi village.
Mubebo said the two suspects, in their 20s, both worked at the Ngepi Camp before they were fired sometime back for alleged theft by Ngepi Camp owner Mark Adcock.
The deceased, Markus Kambinda, allegedly went to the gate of the camp with the intention to close it, but never returned to his base at the camp.
Another security guard found him later, upside down in a pool of blood.
Meanwhile, Adcock earlier laid the blame for the murder on Hambukushu Traditional Authority leader Fumu Ervin Mbambo.
Relations between the Ngepi Camp owner and the Hambukushu leader have long been troubled as a result of a number of issues, including the traditional authority’s attempts to have Adcock evicted from the area.