PRETORIA, April 30 — The International Criminal Court (ICC), based at The Hague in the Netherlands, has confirmed that it has received a complaint from a Nigerian human rights organization to investigate a complaint South African Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini for allegedly making a hate speech.
Last week, the organization wrote to the ICC Prosecutor following attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa which have claimed seven lives and displaced thousands of foreigners, mostly from other African countries.
Zwelithini had reportedly said that foreigners should pack their bags and go home. The Office of the Prosecutor says the communication has been duly entered in the Communications Register of the Office.
Attempts to get a response from the Zulu Royal House were unsuccessful.
The Chairman of the South African Human Rights Commission, Laurence Mushwana, has also confirmed that his office is receiving threats after it started investigating King Goodwill Zwelithini.
The African diaspora and at least 23 individuals had asked the Commission to investigate the king, following allegations that his remarks had partly led to the xenophobic attacks of the past few weeks.
Mushwana said the commission had already identified an individual who made threats against the Commission’s staff members.
Meanwhile, President Jacob Zuma has officially informed the National Council of Provinces that he has deployed 338 soldiers to help the police quash any further attacks on foreigners in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces and any other area where the need may arise. Zuma said the soldiers would remain on the streets until June 30.
The President is required by the Constitution to report to Parliament whenever he deploys members of the National Defence Force anywhere.