PRETORIA, May 19 — The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is expected to meet Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini and at least 20 complainants regarding utterances allegedly made by the king about foreign nationals.
The commission is investigating the statements in the light of recent xenophobic attacks, says SAHRC spokesman Isaac Mangena.
The recommendations of the commission after its investigation into the recent attacks will be made public when investigations have been concluded, he added Monday.
“It’s not really unusual in our investigations that we meet with complainants and respondents or exchange or request further information that will help us come to a conclusion in the investigation,” he said.
“What is gonna happen in this instance, is that the commission will be visiting Durban; the Chairperson of the Commission, Advocate Lawrence Mashwana, will be meeting with the complainants today (Monday), also the King or the office of the King on Tuesday, to talk about the investigation and how we can move forward.”
Meanwhile, the government says more than 5,000 foreign nationals have voluntarily left South Africa since the outbreak of xenophobic attacks in the country last month. Malawians formed the bulk of those who chose to leave the country. The remainder were from Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and Tanzania.
More than 400 Mozambicans were also deported.