IGAD PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
During a press conference given today, Tuesday, 17 October 2017, in Juba, South Sudan, the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan, Ambassador Ismail Wais, made the following statement:
REVITALISATION HAS MADE “POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE” PROGRESS, SAYS IGAD SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SOUTH SUDAN
“On 28th September IGAD began a comprehensive round of consultation meetings in Addis Ababa, Khartoum, Pretoria and here in Juba, pursuant to our mandate to convene a High Level Revitalisation Forum for South Sudan.
“Over the past three weeks, senior members of the IGAD Council of Ministers, supported by my office and the JMEC secretariat, have met with all significant parties to the conflict in South Sudan.
“I can report to you now that these consultations have all been positive and constructive and I wish to thank each and every one of the participants for their commitment, engagement and thoughtful contributions.
“The IGAD Council of Ministers delegation was led by H.E. Dr. Workneh Gebeyehu, Ethiopian Foreign Minister and Chairman of the IGAD Council of Ministers, and included:
H.E. Amina Mohamed, the Kenyan Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Rapporteur to the IGAD Council of Ministers,
H.E. Sam Kutesa, the Ugandan Foreign Minister,
H.E. Professor Ibrahim Ghandour, the Sudanese Foreign Affairs Minister,
H.E. Mohamoud Ali Youssouf, the Djibouti Foreign Minister,
H.E. Abdulkadir Ahmedkheyir Abdi, State Minister for the Federal Republic of Somalia.
“Together, or in smaller groups, they have met with:
- E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President of South Sudan
- E. Taban Deng Gai, First Vice President
- Council of Ministers of the Transitional Government of National Unity
- Honorable John Luk, Honorable Deng Alor, and Honorable Madut Bial, Former Detainees In Government
- The Speaker of the Transitional National Legislative Assembly
- The National Dialogue Committee
- Riek Machar, former First Vice President
- Lam Akol, Chairman National Democratic Movement
- Pag’an Amum Okiech, Mr. Kosti Manibe, and Dr. Majak D’Agoot, Representatives of the Former Detainees
- General Peter Gadet, Chairman, South Sudan United Movement
- General Bapiny Montuil
- Costello Garang, Chairman, South Sudan Patriotic Movement/Army
- Mr Gabriel Changson, Chairperson of the Federal Democratic Party of South Sudan
- Madiba Kwaje Lasa- Secretary General, South Sudan National Movement for Change (Lead by Mr. Joseph Bakasoro)
- Madam Rebecca Nyandeng Garang de Mabior
- General Thomas Cirillo, Chairperson of the National Salvation Front
- Ambassador Lt. Gen. Andrew Makur, Eminent Personality
- Representatives of South Sudanese Civil Society, Women’s Bloc, Youth Groups, and Faith Based Leaders
- Representatives of the National Alliance of Political Parties
- Representatives of the National Agenda Political Parties
- Representatives of the Umbrella Party
- Representatives of the citizens in the UN Protection of Civilians camps
- Representatives of the international community
“Over the next few weeks the IGAD Special Envoy’s Taskforce will reflect on the outcomes of the consultation meetings, including consideration of the various written contributions provided to us, and develop a options and recommendations for the revitalisation process.
“Once complete, the IGAD Council of Ministers will convene a meeting to consider the various recommendations and options, and will thereafter pronounce on the date, location, attendance and draft agenda for the High Level Revitalisation Forum.
“We anticipate that this revitalisation process will be underway within two months.”