ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: OSESS/MVM -IT /Officer 2015
Position Title: IT Officer
Accountable to:Chairman JTC
Job Group:Project staff
Organizational Unit: Office of the special Envoy for South Sudan
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Opening Date: 25th June 2015
Closing Date: 15th July 2015 by close of business hour 5:30 PM
IGAD,Head Quartered in Djibouti, is leading a program of Monitoring and Verification Mission (MVM) through its Office of the Special Envoy for South Sudan (OSESS) based in Addis Ababa. The program has Joint Technical Committee office in Juba and other six Monitoring and Verification Teams sites (MVTS) outside Juba. The Juba MVT is co-hosted with the JTC. The scope of the program is coming from Cessation of Hostilities Agreement (CoHA) signed between the warring parties in January 2014 and mandate is from Status of Mission Agreement (SOMA) signed between IGAD and GRSS as well as role of IGAD as East African block organ that includes South Sudan. In undertaking its MVM activities, IGAD laid a satellite based wireless WAN network of ICT across all program actors. This wireless WAN and the ICT installed needs a professional of high level knowledge and experts to manage & run daily. Therefore IGAD is recruiting an IT Officer with the following qualification and experience requirement to support the program in IT matters. S/he will
2. Summary of duties and responsibilities
The incumbent reports to the Chairman of JTC and s/he manages the ICT of the program in South Sudan including five mores sites outside Juba. S/he also provides a strategic overview to meet future program and ICT system requirements as situation changes. S/he supports staff members with ICT related matters and provides problem trouble shooting services. S/he will ensure confidentiality information and demonstrate professional care and code of behavior it requires. S/he will be operating within the unique context of the program and situations. S/he will be abided by specific frameworks, guidance and regulations within MVM South Sudan. The job holder supports the MVM program in a day to day IT issues and develops specifications for IT items procurements as well as technical identification of IT items.
3. Details of Main responsibilities
1. Manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all current IT systems, operating systems, databases, telephones, Thuraya, software applications, and peripherals.
2. Project manage the implementation and integration of any new system, software or website
3. Communicate regularly with Monitoring and Verification Teams and all other users to gather information of IT services and systems for rectification of problems or improvements.
4. Develop standard operating procedures and best practices, including providing written protocols, code of conduct and guidance for ICT operators’and end-users.
5. Ensure the creation and maintenance of all written documentation, including system and user manuals, contract/license agreements with Local Internet service provider (ISP), and documentation of modifications and upgrades.
6. Oversee provision of IT Support for 100 staff in six offices.
7. Keep current with the latest technologies and determine what new technology solutions and implementations will meet program and system requirements of MVM with the aim of system enhancement and data security.
8. Manage financial aspects of the IT unit, including helping in purchasing, budgeting, and budget review.
9. Develop and implement all IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing, and service provision.
10. Support in negotiate and administer supplier contracts and service agreements.
4. Qualifications and Key Skills
• A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent education and experience
• Knowledge of WAN network administration and website technologies
• Progressive IT experience, including experience in a multi-office environment. Experience in working with non-profits and/or membership organisation’s preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong project management, organizational and time management skills
• Good at cross cultural understanding and experience with the same
• Excellent problem-solving, analytical and evaluative skills
5. Language Skills:
Proficiency in English Language is required.
The duration of the assignment will be for six (6) months with possible renewal subject to availability of fund .
7. Deadline for application: 15th July 2015 on or before 5:30 PM.
8. How to apply:
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mail, telephone) to the following address:
Office of the Special Envoy for South Sudan
Tel: +251-911-243163 or +251-911-236881
IGAD Secretariat shall only respond to shortlisted candidates.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Please write the vacancy announcement number