JOHANNESBURG–Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says he will announce drastic measures that government has taken to contain Listeriosis in South Africa.
Motsoaledi called an urgent media briefing on Sunday at the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in Pretoria.
Motsoaledi says results of tests to determine the origins of the Listeriosis outbreak in South Africa came in overnight.
He says he will name certain foods in which the strain of the bacteria causing the current outbreak has been found.
Some 915 cases of listeriosis have been reported to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD). It confirmed that the outbreak had already claimed 172 lives.
At 541, Gauteng accounts for the highest number of reported cases, followed by the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal.
Experts, however, say the outbreak has seemingly stabilised. Authorities are still carrying out spot checks and high risks groups include , those with a compromised immune system, the elderly, pregnant women and babies.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK