WINDHOEK: Vivo Energy, the company formed to distribute and market Shell-branded fuels and lubricants, opened its business in Namibia on Tuesday.
The corporate entity is owned by Netherlands-based Vitol, Nigeria’s Helios Investment Partners and London-based Shell. It will use the name Vivo Energy while continuing to market Shell-branded fuels and lubricants.
Speaking to Nampa immediately after the launch in the capital, Vivo Energy Namibia Managing Director (MD) Willie Mokgatle said the arrival of Vivo Energy in Namibia means more petrol stations can now be established, with plans for more to be constructed in addition to the existing 34 Shell retail stations.
The company currently employs 16 people here, and the establishment of new petrol stations will result in the creation of more employment.
“Vivo Energy is an ambitious company, and is committed to success. Now that Botswana and Namibia are part of Vivo Energy, we can continue our growth strategy and contribute to delivering against our goals,” said Mokgatle, who is also MD of Vivo Energy Botswana.
Meanwhile, London-based Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Vivo Energy, Christian Chammas said Africa “is a true growth market for energy, and her customers deserve a dedicated, focused energy products and service provider”.
“Over time, we want Vivo Energy to be known as the most respected energy business in Africa. This means investing in key African markets for long-term sustainable growth, and being a leader in safety,” he noted.
The Shell licensee was established on 01 December 2011 to distribute and market Shell-branded fuels and lubricants, and now operates in 12 African countries.
Before the end of this month, Vivo Energy will start operating in Kenya, Uganda and Ghana.
The company now employs around 1 730 people, and operates 917 retail stations under the Shell brand. It has access to around 1,8 million cubic meters of fuel storage.
Vitol and Helios have acquired the majority of Shell’s shareholding in their businesses in Namibia and Botswana. They own 80 per cent (40 each) in the company, with Shell owning the remaining 20 per cent.
The two companies announced today that they have completed the third phase of a transaction that was first announced on February 19th, 2011.
Upon final completion of the transaction, Vivo Energy will operate more than 1 300 retail stations across Africa under the Shell brand.