Pretoria: Cabinet has congratulated the schools and teachers who have been nominated for the National Teachers Awards.
President Jacob Zuma is expected to deliver the keynote address at the National Teachers Awards to be held in Johannesburg later today.
Addressing the media this morning, Acting Cabinet spokesperson Phumla Williams said the awards were but one of the ways in which the Department of Basic Education acknowledges and encourages dedicated and caring teachers in their efforts to develop learners as responsible citizens of a democratic, non-racial and non-sexiest South Africa.
“Cabinet also reiterates the rights of children to learn in a safe and conducive environment,” she said.
Williams was briefing media following an ordinary meeting of Cabinet this week.
The 2013 National Teaching Awards, which will be held under the theme “A Call for Quality Learning and Teaching”, will recognise outstanding teaching in the following categories and awards:
• Excellence in Primary School Teaching
• Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
• Excellence in Primary School Leadership
• Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
• Excellence in Grade R Teaching
• Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
• Excellence in Technology-Enhanced Teaching
• Excellence in Teaching Mathematics
• Excellence in Teaching Science
• Lifetime Achievement Award
• Prof Kader Asmal Award
• Via Afrika Publishers People’s Choice Award
• Kha Ri Gude Mass Literacy Volunteer Teacher
• Kha Ri Gude Mass Literacy Volunteer Supervisor
• Kha Ri Gude Mass Literacy Volunteer Co-Ordinator
• Kha Ri Gude Inclusive Education Volunteer Teacher
• Kha Ri Gude Inclusive Education Volunteer Supervisor
• Kha Ri Gude Inclusive Education Volunteer Co-Ordinator.
SOURCE: South African Official News