WINDHOEK: A special general members meeting is scheduled for Friday where members of the Meat Corporation of Namibia (Meatco) will discuss governments’ decision about the future operational structure and legal framework of the company.
Government announced in June this year that the ownership of Meatco ‘be vested in the sui generis co-operative with a majority shareholding of 70 per cent, and the government with a golden share of the remaining 30 per cent.’
This announcement has prompted an outpouring of reaction from many stakeholders in the agricultural industry with feedback sessions organized by the Namibia National Farmers Union (NNFU) that took place country wide since July this year.
The agenda for tomorrow’s meeting include feedback regarding the corporations’ ownership, future operational structure and legal framework; and also for Meatco members to give the Meatco Board of Directors a mandate on the way forward.
At a media conference to announced Cabinet’s decision about the future of Meatco on 28 June 2012, the Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry (MAWF) John Mutorwa did not shed light on government’s ‘golden share of the remaining 30 per cent.’
Mutorwa said the way forward is the immediate and urgent task of the ministry and other relevant stakeholders to finalize the Namibia Meat Company Bill for the co-operative, and the Namibia Meat Company Limited Bill for the onward processing through appropriate channels.
He said unless and until the tasks are finalized, and the said Bills passed in Parliament; the Meatco Act 2001, the State-owned Enterprises Governance Act 2006, and any other relevant and applicable laws shall continue to remain legal instruments, according to which Meatco’s operations, must continue to be managed, governed and regulated.
“There must not be any confusion or doubt regarding this matter as Namibia is a sovereign, secular, democratic and unitary State founded upon the principles of democracy, the rule of law and justice for all,” he added.