Drought Situation &amp;amp;amp; EW Phase Classification
Biophysical Indicators (Environmental indicators)
• The month under recorded significantly minimal rains compared to the long term mean for the month.
• The state of water sources on average ranged between fair to poor across the livelihood zones indicating a below normal situation for this time of the year.
• The county recorded on average moderate drought with some pockets recording poor to depleted vegetation condition.
Socio Economic Indicators (Impact Indicators)
• On average the livestock body condition for all species ranged from fair to poor across the livelihood zone.
• Moisture stressed season’s crop due to prolonged dry spell and windy conditions.
• Milk production recorded an increase during the month under review.
• Average distance to water sources by households remained stable with that of livestock recording an increase compared to the previous month.
• Average cattle price remained stable while goat average prices recorded an increase compared to the previous month.
• Average maize price recorded stability compared to the previous month while beans recorded an increase.
• Terms of Trade were more favorable during the month under review compared to the previous month.
• The month under review recorded 0.1 percent of children under -five years at risk of malnutrition during the month under review which is an increase compared to the previous month.
Source: Government of Kenya