Mbooni: At least 1,000 students at Mbooni Girls High School in Mbooni West Sub-county have been sent home after several students suffered from abdominal pains coupled with diarrhoea. Speaking to Kenya News Agency on Tuesday, Mbooni West Sub-county Director of Education, Benjamin Mauko, said that the problem started last week when students experienced abdominal pains, diarrhoea, and vomiting.
According to Kenya News Agency, Mauko stated, "The problem started last week, when 200 students complained of abdominal pains and diarrhoea. Now it has risen to 231 and as a result we have decided to send the students home." He added that samples will be taken to the National Public Health Laboratory to establish the cause of the problem.
Mbooni West Subcounty Health Administrative Officer Winfred Mulwa reported that 133 students were initially treated at the Mbooni Sub-county Hospital and returned to school. She noted that on Sunday, they received information that more students at Mbooni Girls High School were experiencing various symptoms such as stomachache, headache, and diarrhoea.
"We treated 143 students at Mbooni Hospital and allowed them to go back to school," said Mulwa. She also mentioned that one girl, who was in a critical condition, was admitted but her condition is now stable.