JOHANNESBURG– Edward Zuma, the eldest son of former president Jacob Zuma, says the decision taken by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to pursue a corruption case against his father is a witch-hunt and very suspicious.
In his statement addressed to all South Africans and global citizens, Edward Zuma said he had been trying to understand what Zuma had done to deserve such hatred and treatment from people whom he served and struggled (for), for the freedom we enjoy today.
Edward said the statement was sent in his personal capacity.
On Friday, NPA head Shaun Abrahams said he had decided to re-instate charges against Zuma relating to the so-called arms deal which dates back to the 1990s. The 16 charges include fraud, corruption, money-laundering and racketeering in relation to myriad payments Zuma received from his former financial adviser, Schabir Shaik.
Edward, a staunch supporter of his father, said in his rambling statement Monday that even a child could see that the NPA’s decision was a witch-hunt. He also said that State institutions were being used to clamp down on those who spoke out on white monopoly capital (WMC).
I have concluded that anyone who is accused by the above or by WMC, that person will definitely not be treated like a human being or fairly by the powers that be, he said.
I know some will say, but the so-called charges emanate from long time ago, I will then respond to say the battle to tarnish and get rid of Jacob Zuma is more than 20 years, hence he is still being crucified till this day and by the look of things this isn’t going to stop anytime soon.
Many people have spoken as to how selective our prosecution is and I will not go there as I agree with them, I will, however, challenge South Africans to wake up and smell the coffee before our country is again handed over to the hands of White minority rule who clearly don’t see us as equals rather they see us as their mere butlers, labourers etc. We will go all out and defend the former President in every way possible.”
Jacob Zuma was forced to resign on Feb 14 after the ruling African National Congress (ANC) decided to recall him as president of South Africa.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK