HARARE, April 19 — President Robert Mugabe on Saturday described the current xenophobic violence in neighboring South Africa as both disgusting and shocking saying that such acts should not be tolerated.
South Africa is battling to contain a wave of xenophobic attacks which have claimed at least five lives so far.
Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini, is widely blamed for instigating the attacks after he was reported saying foreigners should “go back to their countries.”
President Mugabe who is chairman of the Southern African Development Community (Sadc) as well as the African Union, said government was putting in place logistics to repatriate Zimbabwean nationals affected by the violence.
“On behalf of Zimbabwe, SADC and the AU, that must never happen again in South Africa or any other nation,” he said.
“Our ministers are working with South African authorities and transport is there already to bring our people back home.”
President Mugabe, who was addressing people attending Zimbabwe’s 35th Independence anniversary at the National Sports Stadium, said even though South Africa was harboring a large number of immigrants, some undocumented, violence should never be used to address such a problem.
“If there is an influx of foreigners in a certain country, that must be discussed and a solution be found,” he said.
The civil protection unit has established a reception and support centre at the Beitbridge Boarder post to prepare for the arrival of Zimbabwean nationals who are victims of xenophobia.
The centre has a carrying capacity of 1000 people and can offer to 600 adults and 40 children per day.
The first batch of victims is expected on Sunday.
SOURCE: New Ziana