Woman taken to hospital in fire drama

A WOMAN is in hospital following a flat fire in a Hampshire town.

Three people suffered smoke inhalation in the blaze in Eastleigh.

The fire, which was caused by a flame from candles catching onto curtains, happened at a flat in a building in Market Street.

Fire crews, South Central Amublances and police were called to the scene of the blaze.

By the time fire crews arrived at the scene at 7.30pm the occupants of the building were outside, however the blaze had taken hold.

Crew manager at Eastleigh Fire Station, Justin Lee said: “We had three pumping appliances and an aerial ladder platform.

“There was smoke damage in one room damaged by fire and the whole flat was damaged by smoke.

“There were three people with smoke inhalation, and the occupant of the flat was taken to hospital, the neighbours were treated at the scene but not taken to hospital.”

Three fire engines including two from St Mary’s Fire Station and one from Eastleigh Fire Station were at the scene.

Firefighters used a tactical ventilation level three, six breathing apparatus and three hose reels to tackle the fire.

The building, which contained five flats was evacuated and people were also evacuated from the building next to the one where the fire started.

Speaking about the dangers of candles, Mr Lee added: “The warning is never leave candles unattended and if you have curtains that blow in the wind, the message we preach is never leave a candle unattended.

“Had we not got there within three minutes of being called, and had that time been slightly longer it would have been much worse and the fire was about to spread into the smoke, had that happened it would have been a fully developed fire in the flat.”

A spokesperson for South Central Ambulance said that a woman aged in her 60s was treated at the scene and taken to hospital for treatment.

[related_post themes="flat" id="142675"]