MUKWE: A two-year-old girl endured an excruciating death after she was burned beyond recognition whilst sleeping in a traditional hut at the Shamakokona village east of Rundu on Thursday night.
The minor girl was allegedly left in the hut with a 14-year-old girl, who later left the room while the candle was burning and went to a nearby shebeen.
The hut then caught fire, which is suspected to have been caused by the burning candle.
NamPol’s Kavango Regional Crime Investigations’ Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner Willie Bampton told Nampa on Friday that the only person who was at home was an elderly 72-year-old man who first spotted the fire and tried to extinguish it with his bare hands, but he could not manage.
The deceased has been identified as Shinda Anton, a resident of the Shamakokona village situated some 190km from Rundu.
Her next of kin have already been informed, and the police have opened an inquest docket into the incident.