NCAUTE: Two learners died an excruciating death when they were burnt beyond recognition in their room at the Matumbo Ribebe Secondary School’s hostel on Wednesday night.
The school is situated at Ncaute, some 60 kilometres south of Rundu.
The Namibian Police Force (NamPol)’s Crime Investigations’ Co-ordinator for the Kavango Region, Deputy Commissioner Willie Bampton told Nampa on Thursday that it is suspected that the fire was caused by a burning candle.
The deceased were identified as 15-year-old Nangura Haindere, a Grade Eight learner at Matumbo Ribebe, and her 12-year-old brother Muronga Haindere.
Muronga Haindere stayed at the Matumbo Ribebe Secondary School hostel, but attended a different school.
The fire, which spread into the kitchen and two other bedrooms, was only extinguished upon the arrival of the Rundu Town Council’s Fire Brigade some two hours after it started.
When this reporter arrived at the scene in the early morning hours of Thursday, teachers and learners who were visibly traumatised at the painful deaths of the two youngsters had all rushed out of their rooms.
The deceased’s next of kin have been informed of their deaths, and the police have opened an inquest docket into the incident.
The Matumbo Ribebe Secondary School, which started receiving learners in January 2011, is expected to be officially opened in October this year.
The school was constructed by the Jiangsu Zhengtai Construction Group, a Chinese construction company, at a cost of N.dollars 58 million.