ACCRA, April 23 — The South African High Commission (Embassy) in the Ghanaian capital, Accra, says it has received threats from four Ghanaians.
High Commissioner Lulu Xingwana said here Wednesday that the four men came to the high commission last week but were stopped from entering the premises by security. She said the men threatened to come back and burn the high commission.
The matter has been reported to police in Accra, said Xingwana, who added that the High Commission had confirmed with the Police Ministry in South Africa that no Ghanaian had been killed in the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
The threats are seen as reprisals after unconfirmed reports linked deaths of some Ghanaians in South Africa to a recent spate of xenophobic attacks.
The High Commission says it has been in constant communication with the South African government and has been assured that these deaths were unrelated to the xenopobic attacks.
Recently, a Ghanaian man was found dead on the streets of Durban, the centre of attacks on black Africans from other countries by South Africans. But South African police have said the death was not xenophobia-related.