PRETORIA, Feb 13 — South African fishermen have been urged to lodge their appeals in the long-term fishing rights allocation process before the closing date on Friday, Feb 21.
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Spokesperson Palesa Mokomele said in a statement here Wednesday that late appeals would not be accepted, and anybody who feels aggrieved should lodge an appeal before the closing date.
According to Mokomele, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Tina Joemat-Pettersson had been advised that to date, no appeal had been received.
She said fishing rights in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Province prawn trawl, demersal shark, squid, tuna pole-line, hake handline, white mussel, traditional line fish and oyster fishing sectors were allocated for periods ranging from two to eight years. All rights in these sectors expired on Dec 31, last year.
Mokomele said the department received a total of 3,490 rights applications, adding that 110 were for demersal shark, 530 for hake landline (154 applications were from companies and 376 from individuals).
A total of 81, according to Mokomele, were for KZN prawn trawl, 260 for oysters, 308 for squid, 1,566 for traditional linefish, 329 for tuna pole-line and 306 for white mussels.
“There have been 593 successful applicants and 2, 893 unsuccessful. In the demersal shark fishery, the provisional results indicate that rights have been received by 96.22 per cent black-owned companies, of which 50 per cent are female; this is in comparison to 63 per cent black-owned companies in the 2005/6 allocation.
“In the hake handline fishery, the provisional results indicate that rights beneficiaries are 83.3 per cent are black-owned and 24 per cent female. In traditional linefish, 77.2 per cent are black owned, of which 7.0 per cent are female,” she said.
Source: SA NEWS