PRETORIA, Jan 21 — South Africa’s Ministry of State Security says the country has in place a counter-terrorism strategy which includes identifying threats to the country.
Ministry Spokesman Brian Dube said this Tuesday after a number of terror attacks which have occurred internationally in recent weeks.
A reported 2,000 people were massacred by Boko Haram in northern Nigeria, while 12 people were killed by masked men at the Paris offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
Late last year, 132 school children were shot dead at a school in Peshawar, Pakistan.
Dube said the State Security Department also had an early warning centre which is highly successful in picking up suspicious activities.
“In the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region, we are working with countries that are members of SADC. We already have an early warning centre that we work with where again, we have clear codes as to how we are going to share information on best practices and information from experiences basically empowering ourselves as a region,” he added.
“It is correct that South Africa is part of the international community and we can’t function in isolation. What we need to do there is to be guided again by our foreign policy which indicates to us that we believe in management and we believe in solutions that are peaceful to resolving any conflict of any kind.”