President Jacob Zuma has appointed new members of the Brand SA Board of Trustees to help strengthen the South African brand identity locally and abroad.
Brand SA was established in 2002 as the International Marketing Council to promote the South African brand. The primary objective of Brand SA is to develop and implement a proactive and coordinated international marketing and communication strategy for South Africa.
“From the period of the struggle against apartheid to the dawn of freedom, our brand remains strong and visible. Regardless of challenges we have faced recently, our brand has remained strong and we have a responsibility to nurture and build it further. It is an important resource for the attraction of investments and partnerships that will contribute to our mission of creating jobs and improving the quality of life for all,’’ said President Zuma.
President Zuma has re-appointed Ms Charlotte “Chichi” Maponya (MD Maponya Group) as chairperson and Mr Happy Ntshingila (CEO Supersport Ltd) as deputy chairperson.
The newly appointed Trustees are the following:
1. Mr Miller Matola, CEO of Brand SA
2. Mr Mninawe Pepi Silinga, CEO of Coega Development Corporation.
3. Mr Ryland Fisher, CEO Ryland Fisher Communications and former editor of the Cape Times and New Age
4. Mr Connie Molusi, Chairman of the Sishen Iron Ore Community Development Trust and former CEO of Avusa Media
5. Mr Thebe Ikalafeng, founder and managing director of the Brand Leadership Group and vice-chairman of the Brand Council of South Africa
6. Ms Paula Fray, founder and managing director of Frayintermedia and former editor of the Saturday Star
7. Ms Phumelele Nzimande, currently a Commissioner in the Public Service Commission and former top executive at the SABC responsible for corporate affairs, communications, international relations and human resources. She has also previously served as head of postal policy at the Department of Communications.
8. Mr Deon Huysamer, Chair of Global Business Excellence.
9. Mr Mzimkulu Malunga, CEO Urban Brew and former MD of BDFM Publishers, publishers of Business Day and Financial Mail publications
10. Mr Rick Mennell, Chairman of Tourism Entreprise Partnership and a non-executive director at Gold Fields.
11. Mr Zwelibanzi Mntambo, Deputy Chairperson of the South African Tourism Board.
12. Mr Ralph Mupita, CEO Old Mutual Emerging Markets.
13. Mr Stavrous Nicolaou, Senior Executive responsible for Strategic Development at Aspen Pharma.
The new members will join the following existing members of the Board:
Dr Cassius Lubisi, Director-General in the Presidency
Mr Danny Jordan, Former CEO of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa and South African Football Association.
Mr Sandile Zungu, MD, ZICO Investments
Mr Wayne Morris, CEO Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition.
Mr Geoffrey Rothschild, Head: Government & International Relations, Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Mr Ajay Gupta, Sahara Holdings.
Mr Moss Leoka, Chairman: ALTEC and Director: Breezepower (Pty) Ltd.
Ms Ramasela Magoele, CFO Broadband Infraco.
Ms Sindisiwe Mabaso-Koyana, Board member of SA Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Mr Timothy Scholtz, COO South African Tourism.
The following Trustees will represent their government departments:
Ms Phumla Williams, Deputy CEO of GCIS.
Ms Pumla Ncapayi, Deputy Director-General Trade and Investment SA, Department of Trade and Industry.
Mr Clayson Monyela, Deputy Director-General Public Diplomacy at the Department of International Relations and Cooperation.
“I thank the new members for availing themselves for this important national duty. We are optimistic that Brand SA will move to greater heights based on the collective expertise on the Board’’ said President Zuma.
The President further extended his heartfelt appreciation to outgoing members of the Board who played a sterling role in building Brand SA, including providing direction to huge marketing campaigns such as the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup.
“We truly appreciate the contribution of the outgoing Board members, they did a lot of good work for the country which the new and re-appointed members will build on. From the FIFA World Cup to our joining BRICS, they provided guidance to the Brand SA team and enabled us to position South Africa correctly as a winning nation in many respects,’’ said the President.