Pretoria: President Jacob Zuma has extended his condolences to the families of those who were killed in the horrific bus crash in Melmoth in KwaZulu-Natal on Sunday.
The number of people who died in the accident has risen to 10, with many more injured.
The bus was carrying maidens and their mothers on their way home from the Annual Reed Dance that had been held at eNyokeni Royal Palace in Nongoma.
The bus was travelling on the R66 (Nkwalini) between Melmoth and Eshowe when it overturned and slid down the road, on its side. Paramedics said the bus smashed into the Armco barriers, which pierced the front of the bus before causing it to stop.
“We are shocked and saddened by this tragic and horrific loss of life in this manner following a successful cultural event that promotes self-confidence among young women. Our hearts go out to His Majesty King Zwelithini, the families, relatives and the community as a whole,” Zuma said on Monday.
KZN Transport, Community Safety and Liaison MEC Willies Mchunu has assembled a team of experts to investigate the cause of the accident, the state of the driver and the roadworthiness of the bus.