13 Jul 2015
“Very disappointing” that humanitarian pause in Yemen did not take hold
The UN has said it is disappointed that a ceasefire in Yemen to allow the delivery of humanitarian supplies did not take hold over the weekend.
The break in fighting had been expected to last seven days starting last Friday.
Despite continued airstrikes and violence on the ground, the UN says its humanitarian workers have been able to distribute some vital aid to Yemenis who urgently need assistance.
Here’s UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric.
“We continue to reiterate our call for a humanitarian pause, unconditional humanitarian pause. And I would say that the Secretary‑General reminds all parties in the conflict in Yemen, from both inside and outside the country, of their obligations under international human rights and humanitarian law and calls on all sides to prevent further deterioration of the unfolding humanitarian catastrophe that we’re seeing in Yemen.”
In Qatar, UN Special Envoy for Syria calls for political solution
A political solution to the Syrian crisis through constructive dialogue is needed, the UN Special Envoy for the country said on Sunday during a visit to the region.
Staffan de Mistura was in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, meeting with senior government officials from both nations.
He is scheduled to hold more consultations with other countries in the region over the coming days to discuss how to end more than four years of conflict.
Conflict in South Sudan “must stop”
South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and former Vice-President Riek Machar have been called on by the UN chief to give up war for the sake of the people and future of the country.
Ban Ki-moon was speaking at a press conference in Ethiopia, where he said the conflict in the world’s youngest nation had to stop.
South Sudan marked the fourth anniversary of its independence on 9 July.
Daniel Dickinson, United Nations.