Police have been out in force on Illawarra and South Coast roads this long weekend, but changing locations of the regions’ mobile speed cameras are sure to keep drivers on their toes – regardless of the time of year.
A recent NSW Centre for Road Safety audit of its speed camera car coverage has seen a number of sites decommissioned and others added to a list of 640 locations across the state.
Motorists can no longer expect to see “mobile speed camera ahead” signs on major Wollongong roads like the Princes Highway or M1 Motorway in certain suburbs.
However, a number of Kiama and Jamerboo streets will now be frequented by a camera car.
Further south, drivers could now see a mobile camera on Beach Road at Batemans Bay or the Princes Highway in the Mogo and Moruya area.
The new mobile speed camera locations have been chosen using criteria outlined in the state’s speed camera strategy, including a high number of crashes, alignment with NSW Police operations and even community nominations.
NSW Centre for Road Safety executive director Bernard Carlon said of the 113 new locations statewide, more than 30 per cent were nominated by the public.
“The total number of mobile speed camera locations and the number of hours they enforce has not changed, remaining at 640 locations and 7000 hours per month,” Mr Carlon said.
The decommissioned camera locations could no longer be used for speed enforcement “as there were no suitable places to park the vehicle and position the warning signs”, he said.
The public can access information about current speed camera sites, or nominate a location, via the saferroadsnsw.com.au website.
Mr Carlon said millions of dollars were being spent on improving road safety infrastructure and funding high-visibility policing at key hot spots.
“Speeding even 10km/h can more than double your chances of killing or injuring someone on the road,” he said.
- JAMBEROO, KIAMA – Allowrie St, Churchill St, Jamberoo Rd, Terralong St
- BATEMANS BAY, CATALINA – Beach Rd
- BIMBIMBEE, BROULEE, JEREMADRA, MOGO, MORUYA, RUNNYFORD – Princes Hwy, Sydney St
- BODALLA, TURLINJAH, TUROSS HEAD – Princes Hwy
- BEGA, BLACK RANGE, FROGS HOLLOW, KINGSWOOD, MILLINGANDI, WOLUMLA, YELLOW PINCH – Merimbula Drive, Newton Rd, Princes Hwy
- EDEN – Imlay St, Princes Hwy
- Balgownie, Cataract, Keiraville, Mount Keira, Mount Ousley, Mount Pleasant, Tarrawanna – Mount Ousley Rd
- Barrack Heights, Lake Illawarra, Warilla – Shellharbour Rd
- Barrack Heights, Mount Warrigal, Oak Flats, Shellharbour City Centre, Warilla – Lake Entrance Rd, New Lake Entrance Rd
- Barrengarry – Moss Vale Rd
- Bolong, Bomaderry – Bolong Rd
- Bomaderry – Princes Hwy
- Bowral, Burradoo, Mittagong – Bong Bong St, Bowral Rd, Mittagong Rd, Moss Vale Rd
- Brundee, Pyree, Worrigee – Greenwell Point Rd
- Bulli, Cataract, Maddens Plains, Thirroul – Princes Hwy
- Cringila, Port Kembla, Springhill – Five Islands Rd
- Dunmore, Jamberoo – Princes Hwy
- Fairy Meadow, North Wollongong, Wollongong – Flinders St, Princes Hwy
- Gwynneville, Keiraville, West Wollongong – M1 Princes Mwy
- Mount Keira, West Wollongong – Mount Keira Rd
- North Nowra – Illaroo Rd
- Wollongong – Corrimal St, Springhill Rd