WINDHOEK: An investigation will be launched against the culprits who tried to stop the Ninth Nafau National Congress from taking place.
Namibian Food and Allied Workers’ Union (Nafau) General-Secretary (GS) Kiros Sackarias made this statement during a media conference held in the capital on Friday.
“It should be noted that former president Abel Kazondunge and former national treasurer Florence Rukata decided to boycott the congress and gave no reasons for their actions to the members,” said Sackarias.
Kazondunge and some union executives approached the High Court of Namibia late last week with an urgent application to stop the congress from going ahead on 05 to 07 October in Eenhana, Ohangwena Region.
Judge Kobus Miller heard the application on 05 October and granted an interim order halting the Nafau congress.
Nafau had brought the interdict against the suspended Sackarias and he was ordered to pay the court costs.
However, High Court Judge Shafimana Ueitele on 06 October gave the go-ahead for the congress to take place, and Sackarias was re-elected as GS.
“This group distanced themselves from the congress and still went ahead to try and seek for sympathy and protection from the High Court,” said Sackarias during the briefing.
He said Nafau members never mandated them to approach the High Court on their behalve, saying the action was illegal and was made to satisfy their own agendas.
The GS indicated that congress fully mandated the newly-elected leadership to launch an investigation against the culprits as soon as possible, adding that serious action will be taken against them.
The congress also noted with dismay the unwarranted interference by National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW) Secretary-General Evalistus Kaaronda.
“The NUNW SG instigates division among members, thus the Ninth Nafau National Congress has recommended the NUNW leadership to take action against him before things get worse in the NUNW family,” said Sackarias.
Meanwhile, the congress went ahead despite Sackarias’s suspension in September this year.
The suspension letter, signed by Kozondunge, does not contain any details, except to state that the suspension was in accordance with a meeting of the union’s National Executive Committee held on 12 September.
It states that Sackarias is suspended pending an investigation.
However, Sackarias has refused to vacate the office, arguing that he is not aware of any misconduct.