Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) Ghana is dedicated to supporting efforts at achieving the goal of developing local talent and local content as key requirements to Ghana’s participation in the digital revolution.
Mr Ebenezer Asante, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of MTN Ghana, who made this known at the launch of version 4.0 of the MTN Ghana Application Challenge competition in Accra on Wednesday, said the competition was to give another opportunity to people with the skill and talent to develop user-friendly mobile Applications relevant to the local market.
Mr Asante said with the introduction of its 4G LTE service, MTN Ghana was, once again, empowering local Applications developers to utilize their skills to develop effective and relevant Applications to help Ghanaians enjoy its new 4G digital experience.
He noted that Ghana had some creative people with both the enthusiasm and the capacity to develop Applications for the global market, adding that without the opportunity bring offered by MTN Ghana, such capacity would remain latent and ineffective.
He said this year’s version would reward developers of best Internet of Things (IoT) Applications that addressed local problems as well as developers of innovative and locally-relevant Applications and Animated Videos.
In a statement, Mr Sanam Hari, Managing Director of Intercom Programming and Manufacturing Company (IPMC), pledged the company’s continuous support for efforts of finding ways to connect and simplify complex tasks that could be accomplished through the use of the mobile phone.
Mr Hari said the main objective of IPMC in providing sponsorship for the competition was to help bring out hidden talents in support of the digital transformation.
MTN Ghana Application Challenge Version 4.0 follows in succession since the Challenge was launched in 2013 to look for local Application developers.
This year’s challenge is being organized by MTN Ghana in partnership with IPMC and Huawei Technologies Company Ltd., a Chinese multinational networking and telecommunications equipment and services company.
According to a report by Vision Mobile in London, application development is creating employment and generating income for an estimated number of 2.3 million people across the globe and contributing immensely to the growth of their local economies.
Available statistics also indicate that Applications generate about 10 billion Euros annually in revenue for the EU Union economy which has more than 1 million applications.
However, while 92 per cent of the Application developer communities can be found in Asia, Europe and North America, the rest of the world records only 8 per cent, according to the report.
As the leading telecom service provider with a vision of leading the delivery of a bold new digital world, MTN’s Application Challenge in Ghana, therefore, forms part of a broader agenda of the MTN Group to grow the Application developer community in Africa and also increase local content across its footprints.
Source: Government of Ghana