ROME, More than one million people in Angola have been affected by drought in the past five years because of the “El NiAo” weather phenomenon, especially in the provinces of Huila, Cunene and Namibe, says Agriculture Minister Marcos Alexandre Nhunga.
Addressing the 40th session of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) here Wednesday, he added that this had forced the government, along with national and international partners, to launch an extensive operation of support for the affected population with a view to dealing with negative effects caused by the drought.
As for the improvement of income and poverty reduction, the minister said several programmes and projects had been launched, including extension services and rural development, increase of supply of fertilizer and seeds, as well as the analysis and correction of acidity of land for subsistence farmers.
In order the raise income levels and productivity in the agriculture sector, Nhunga said the Government was implementing a World Bank-funded Family Agriculture and Marketing Development Project (MOSAP II) to support family farmers in the provinces of Malanje, Huambo and Bie, as well as aquaculture development programmes.
Angola is preparing, with FAO technical assistance, to implement its first general agricultural and livestock census with the aim of establishing a permanent system of agricultural statistics.
The government had also approved a new National Development Plan for the agrarian sector covering the 2018-2022 period, with the support of the FAO.
Also in the Angolan delegation to the July 3-8 meeting are Minister of Fisheries Victoria de Barros Neto and the permanent representative of Angola to United Nations agencies in Rome, Ambassador FlorA ncio de Almeida.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK