Today, 30 March 2021, Western Cape Minister of Education, Debbie Schäfer, delivered the province’s 2021 Education Budget Speech.
Highlights from the speech include:
• 342 additional teaching posts are being created in areas where the demand for places is growing quickly, in addition to the 429 posts added in 2020.
• Seven new and replacement schools are due to be completed by the end of this year.
• New schools are planned over the MTEF for Sir Lowry’s Pass, Hout Bay, Mfuleni, Mooreesburg, Hermanus and Klapmuts, along with an aeronautical sciences school and an agricultural school in the Cape Winelands, and a School of Skills in Manenberg.
• As part of the Western Cape Recovery Plan, 20 fences scheduled for delivery by the end of the 2021/22 financial year have been fast tracked, for delivery by July this year instead.
• A provision of R71 million has been made for schools for the printing of take-home lessons and activities for learners in 2021.
Source: Government of South Africa