Pretoria: Former President Nelson Mandela has been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he had been receiving treatment for the past two months.
“We would like to wish him all the best as he continues his recovery at his Johannesburg home,” the Presidency said in a statement on Sunday.
Madiba’s condition remains critical and is at times unstable, but his team of doctors are convinced that he will receive the same level of intensive care at his Houghton home that he received in Pretoria.
“His home has been reconfigured to allow him to receive intensive care there. The health care personnel providing care at his home are the very same who provided care to him in hospital. If there are health conditions that warrant another admission to hospital in future, this will be done.
“During his stay in hospital from the 8th of June 2013, the condition of our former President vacillated between serious to critical and at times unstable. He has received full medical support and continues to do so,” said the Presidency.
Madiba has been treated by a large medical team from the military, academia, private sector and other public health spheres.
He has received visits from family, friends and colleagues. “Despite the difficulties imposed by his various illnesses, he, as always, displays immense grace and fortitude.”