KEETMANSHOOP: The Keetmanshoop Municipality has hired security forces from Blitz Security Services here to forcefully dismantle the illegal shacks of about 30 residents behind Tseiblaagte residential area.
The forced removal on Wednesday morning follows an agreement between the council and about 130 squatters early last month that they will all move to serviced and un-serviced plots in Ileni informal settlement.
From 13 July most squatters has moved to the new plots in Ileni, but some remained saying the council should prove on paper that they will get serviced land and when exactly.
Others said the council is lying to them that they will service the new plots for them, just because they need to remove them from the plots they seized.
Speaking to Nampa at the site on Wednesday some squatters alleged that they are opposing the forced removal because they were not given a due date to move though they agreed to move in July.
Furthermore they alleged that they were not officially informed of the forced removal but just happen see security guards dismantling their shacks.
Others say the municipality can load their properties to the new plots but they will not go there.
Some however agreed to me moved and says they have no problem with the forced removal.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Keetmanshoop Municipality Paul Vleermuis told the agency at the site that the squatters were expected to leave before end of July, and they did not do that.
“They were told to leave but they refuse. In fact a lot of them here today have no problem with the forced removal, only a few who are instigating others not to move,” the CEO said.
The police was present at the scene to ensure that violence does not erupt.