WINDHOEK: Minister of Youth, National Service, Sport and Culture Kazenambo Kazenambo on Friday went on the attack against re-elected SPYL Secretary Elijah Ngurare for statements he made last weekend.
Speaking at the Swapo-Party Youth League (SPYL)’s fifth national congress held in the capital last weekend, Ngurare said both the National Youth Service (NYS) and National Youth Council (NYC) were initiated by the youth league and therefore, the two entities should not be abused for political expediency, but rather managed transparently and prudently in the interest of Namibian youth.
Ngurare also called a media conference on Thursday where he sent a stern warning to individuals who are in senior positions on the SPYL ticket to deliver the goods or be recalled when he announced the resolutions taken at last weekend’s congress.
Kazenambo, who both the NYS and NYC fall under, did not take kindly to Ngurare’s utterances and at a media conference on Friday amongst other things called the SPYL secretary a “penniless idiot” and “pathological liar”.
“I have my own businesses, and I will use my own money to do research about this South African left-over. Ngurare’s past is dark and questionable. Those who remote control him, must please call him to order,” said the very emotional minister.
At the conference which lasted more than an hour, Kazenambo went on to call the SPYL secretary “a mysterious character, a fake man with a shady, dark background, a hibernator, and a political ghost”.
According to Kazenambo, Ngurare does not deserve to be called a comrade as the youth leader is “provoking party leaders and causing disharmony in the Swapo-Party”.
He added that the SPYL secretary’s attacks are nothing new to the youth ministry as his (Kazenambo’s) predecessors John Mutorwa and Reverend Willem Konjore also fell victim to Ngurare.
In 2009 it was reported in the local media that Ngurare said Konjore had “excellent taste of fancy dress, giving jobs to his girlfriends and relatives, wining and dining, while Namibia’s youth suffer’.
Kazenambo claimed that Ngurare is using Swapo-Party resources to fight party members and bring division into the party, adding that at the age of 42, he should retire and allow younger individuals to take over and address the shortcomings they face in the country.
The minister also accused Ngurare of leaking confidential information to members of the media, specifically to senior reporter Jan Poolman, who works for local English daily The Namibian.
In November last year, Kazenambo publicly accused Poolman, who was employed by the Namibian Sun at the time, of “buffoonery of the highest order of a perverted mind” after Poolman wrote that the minister spent N.dollars 1,7 million instead of the budgeted N.dollars 1 million to send 65 delegates to collect the skulls of some of the victims of the 1904-1908 genocide from Germany.
“I am going to dig deeper into Ngurare’s background. He is de-stabilising peace, unity and stability in this country and the Swapo-Party and the public needs to know. I can be as lethal with a pen, an AK47, or bazuka. I will no longer be quiet, my blood is hot, I am unstoppable and I am ready for him,” he added.