Improvements to harbourfront area will help enhance visitor experience
May 7, 2015 – Bonavista, NL– Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
The Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation Inc. will complete the latest phase of development related to harbourfront infrastructure in the Town of Bonavista, thanks in part to an investment from the Government of Canada. The Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), announced federal funding of more than $1.1 million for the project.
The initiative includes the development of Campbell Street and the south side of Station Road to connect two areas within the Town of Bonavista and to improve pedestrian flow as well as the industrial landscape in the area. The project will also involve interpretation and signage to enhance the visitor experience. The overall initiative strengthens the community’s existing infrastructure for tourists and local residents by further developing the harbourfront area of Bonavista and allowing pedestrian traffic to more easily move around town to access all historic sites.
This latest phase builds on work completed by the Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation over the past 15 years, such as revitalizing a section of Bonavista’s main commercial street with the installation of curb and gutter and sidewalks, landscaping and fencing. Earlier phases also included redeveloping the harbourfront along Campbell Street to Roper Street, which dramatically changed the town’s landscape to enable visitors to walk along the harbour and access historic sites such as the Ryan Premises and the Mockbegger Premises.
- Government of Canada funding of $1,115,976 was provided through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund.
- The Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation is an incorporated, non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation and development of Bonavista’s built heritage and to the implementation of the Historic Townscape Plan.
- Today’s announcement is another example of how Canada’s Federal Tourism Strategy is encouraging product development and investments in Canadian tourism assets and products.
“Our Government is pleased to support enhanced tourism infrastructure in the Town of Bonavista, which will contribute to business development, economic growth and prosperity throughout the region. Both residents and visitors to the area will benefit for years to come from the work being undertaken by the Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation to greatly improve access to all historic sites in the town.”
– The Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for Newfoundland and Labrador and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Walking ‘over to’ or ‘up the harbour’ – which refers to both the harbourfront and nearby Church Street – is a centuries-long tradition in Bonavista. This phase of harbourfront development will greatly improve pedestrian safety and access, making it much easier for everyone to walk in that area, and to connect with other parts of the town.”
– David Bradley, Chair, Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation Inc.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Rob Moore
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Acting Director, Public Affairs
Bonavista Historic Townscape Foundation Inc.