Boxing tournament in Welkom
The Free State Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation in partnership with Skylon Promotions will present the Freezing Point Boxing Tournament. This boxing tournament is one of many steps that the Department is taking to ensure that Boxing is revived in our province and it will also play a critical role to ensure that Free State boxers get the exposure they deserve.
This Boxing Tournament also seeks to achieve the following objectives:
• Give local boxers the opportunity to compete at a professional level
• Strategically position boxing as a sport that can be enjoyed by the community
• Foster social cohesion through sport and change the social fabric of our province
• Alleviate poverty and create an opportunity of local businesses and service providers to benefit through the staging of the tournament
• Provide entertainment for all age groups
• Position the Free State Province as the mecca of boxing in our country. The Freezing Point Boxing Tournament will be staged as follows:
Date: 28 July 2017
Venue: Lighthouse Church, Flamingo (Welkom)
The Main bout is an SA Title fight with Matshidiso defending her title against Melissa Miller and the main supporting bout is between Jappie Mafatle and Gift Pilane fighting for a Provincial Title. It is also important to mention that Gift Pilane’s first fight as a professional boxer was with Skylon Promotions. This time around he will be fighting for his first title again promoted by Skylon Promotions.
“We welcome the re-introduction of boxing through The Freezing Point Boxing Tournament as well as other boxing programmes in the province. This tournament will assist us in sustaining the momentum on boxing in our province. It is also important to mention that the Department has also made strides in promoting boxing in the province through the MACUFE Boxing Tournament we host annually. The rich history and heritage that boxing has in our country must be preserved and promoted” said MEC Mathabo Leeto.
Source: Government of South Africa