JOHANNESBURG, April 21– Foreign nationals are continuing to leave South Africa, fearing renewed attacks. Harbouring mixed emotions — anger, sadness, fear, regret — they say they no longer feel safe in South Africa and some have vowed never to return.
For others though, South Africa remains their home.
“We are very sad about the situation. Everything we have we get from South Africa, so when things are like this it’s very bad,” one foreigner returning back home said Monday.
“It’s no longer safe to stay in South Africa. They attack us saying we must go back to our countries but we don’t know what the problem is.”
Another foreigner said: “I don’t like xenophobia but I will never go anywhere. I will stay here because I have got family and a wife here.”
Several buses, believed to be transporting Zimbabweans, moved through the Beitbridge border chekcpoint in Musina in Limpopo Province. The buses did not go through the weigh-bridge and the passengers did not disembark.
Two Zimbabweans are reported to be among the victims of the Xenophobic attacks of the past two weeks.
The Permanent Secretary in the Department of Foreign Affairs, Joey Bimha, said: “The documentation process had been completed at Chatsworth (in Duban in KwaZulu-Natal Province), and as a result six buses left yesterday (Sunday) with 408 people bound for Beitbridge. They should be arriving some time today.”
Pretoria has offered transport for foreign nationals wishing to return home.
Meanwhile, Lesotho has commended the South African government for condemning the victimisation of foreign nationals, and for additional measures to protect lives and property.