Drug courier faces years in jail for causing fatal crash

Comments (0)

A drugs courier has been warned he faces a long jail sentence after he admitted causing a fatal accident during a cannabis delivery trip.

Jacob Thomas lost control of his Peugeot Car on the A361 North Devon Link near South Molton and hit a Kia travelling in the opposite direction.

The Kia was forced into the path of a third car which was travelling in the same direction as Thomas towards Barnstaple in July last year.

Victim Faye Marie Evans, from Manchester, suffered serious injuries and died in hospital 36 days later on August 9.

More than a dozen members of her family travelled to Exeter Crown Court where the case was listed for a three day trial until Thomas changed his plea.

There were so many of them that they had to sit in the jury box rather than the public gallery.

Thomas, aged 23, of Little Oaks Drive, Reading, admitted causing death by dangerous driving and possession of cannabis with intent to supply.

The prosecution are not proceeding with a third count of offering to supply cannabis.

Judge Robert Linford adjourned the case until December 8 and remanded Thomas in custody pending a pre sentence report.

He told him:”The sentence is inevitably going to be a prison sentence. I am going to order a report but you must understand that is in no way to be taken as an indication the sentence will be anything other than a significant term of imprisonment.”

Mr Gerard O’Connor, defending, said the court and the Crown Prosecution Service had been notified last week that Thomas intended to change his plea.

He said:”I am acutely conscious of the sensitivity of this case to the family of the deceased who need to have closure. I ask for a pre sentence report because this is a very serious case and the defendant is still 23. He was only 22 at the time of this tragic accident.

“He would also like time to obtain character references. This may take longer than usual because my application is to revoke bail so he can start serving his sentence today.”

Mr William Hunter, prosecuting, said the whole family had come down to Exeter from Manchester and were booked to stay for the three days which had been set aside for the trial.


[related_post themes="flat" id="137417"]