Pretoria: Cabinet has noted the Constitutional Court decision to reserve its judgement on government’s application to set aside the Gauteng North Court decision on the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project (GFIP).
Briefing reporters on Wednesday, Cabinet spokesperson Jimmy Manyi said Cabinet also noted the progress report on the GFIP stakeholder engagement led by the Deputy President Kgalema Mothlante.
“The Deputy President will continue with his engagement in seeking amicable solutions.”
Last week, The Constitutional Court reserved judgement on whether it should overturn the interim interdict preventing e-tolling in Gauteng from commencing.
After hearing arguments last Wednesday from David Unterhalter SC, representing the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), National Treasury lawyer Jeremy Gauntlett and Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (OUTA) lawyer Alistair Franklin, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng said: “We reserve judgement and the court is adjourned.”
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan earlier this year, on behalf of government, applied to the Constitutional Court for leave to appeal against the court interdict stopping GFIP.
This was after the North Gauteng High Court granted an interdict – brought by OUTA, the South African Vehicle Renting and Leasing Association, the Quadpara Association of South Africa and South African National Consumer Union – to halt the GFIP.