Job Title: Agricultural Extension Specialist
Organisation: IGAD Sheikh Technical Veterinary School
Project location: Sheikh, Sahil region, Somaliland
Starting date: July 2015
Contract: One year renewable
Duties and responsibilities of the Agricultural Extension Specialist
The Agricultural extension specialist will carry out the following academic and administrative duties:
– Implement the training courses in their entirety, especially: Theory and Practice of Extension, Extension and Technology Transfer, Extension and Participatory Approaches, Extension planning programming and Evaluation, Extension Strategies, Extension Monitoring and Evaluation,
– Work with the curriculum development expert to revise the curriculum, as needs arise;
– Develop lesson plans for training sessions;
– Develop the student assessment system including setting, administering, marking and grading of exams;
– Assist in the ordering and maintenance of all assets, materials and equipment for training students in her/his area of technical and subject expertise;
– Be available for Reference Centre activities and other academic activities as agreed with the principal;
– Attend coordination meetings as called by the School Principal;
– Assist the School staff in the overall implementation of day to day activities;
– Perform any other duties as assigned by the Principal.
Education and technical expertise
– The candidate should be an experienced Agricultural economist, with a minimum of a Masters in Agricultural extension or similar degree.
– The candidate should have good grasp of agricultural extension biased towards dryland agriculture and pastoral livestock production systems.
Experience in the following fields is particularly desirable:
– The candidate should have a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience
– Semi-arid and arid lands with a pastoral and agro-pastoral production systems.
– The candidate should have matured teaching experience at tertiary level
– The candidate should be conversant with student centred teaching methodology
– Fluency in written and spoken English
– Knowledge of Somali and /or Arabic is an advantage
In addition to the above qualifications, applicants are expected to have the following competencies:
– Effective communication skills, in particular with students
– Good team worker and excellent interpersonal skills
– Good drafting, editing and writing skills (in English)
– Solid student centred teaching methodology experience is preferred
– Preference is given to candidates of IGAD member states (Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan)
– Possess a certificate of Good Conduct or No criminal conviction or equivalent from country of domicile.