Deadline for Application: February 6 2015 on or before 2:30 pm
Organizational Unit: South Sudan Liaison office Juba
Job Category: General Service
Position Title: Accountant/Administrator
Reporting To: Liaison Officer
Duty Station: South Sudan, Juba
1. Job Summary:
Under the overall guidance of the Liaison officer of the South Sudan Liaison office the Accountant Administrator shall the be responsible for proper processing of financial transactions; as well as maintenance of records of the Juba Liaison office; ensure accurate recording and reporting of financial information. Produce fund accountability statements, analyze financial information and provide advice on financial matters. Establish and maintain effective accounting control systems, carry out administrative activities in accordance with IGAD standard operating policies and procedures.
2. Duties and Responsibilities
1. Handle all financial functions related to financial transactions of the Project office;
2. Verify the existence of adequate and reliable supporting documents for commitments, payments and any recoveries;
3. be responsible for collecting bank statements; Preparing bank reconciliation statements
4. Verify the contractual and financial details of each invoice, payment requests and interim or final itemized statement of account;
5. Ensure the proper filing of account documents and other financial related Correspondences;
6. Maintain daily, weekly and monthly backups;
7. Assist in the preparation and monitoring of annual budget;
8. Prepare payroll, update lists of staff and their pay, Receive, verify and process staff claims, and prepare payroll;
9. Prepare Payment Orders;
10. Ensure the smooth and timely disbursement of funds;
11. Prepare documentation for audit purposes; produce audit working papers as required;
12. Research and document explanations of significant budget variances on a periodic basis;
13. Manage staff annual leave; verify, process and update leave records;
14. Receive purchase requests, analyze and verify suppliers’ quotations and or pro forma
invoices; and process purchase of goods and services;
15. Manage fixed asset records and register updates;
16. Manage requests for repair and maintenance of vehicles, fuel, tools and equipment, and ensure that annual insurance renewal for vehicles is done on time;
17. Review and verify vehicle log books and take necessary action for repair and maintenance of vehicle, fuel supply and carry out transport analysis and summary;
18. Prepare timely and accurate periodic financial reports
19. Participate in periodic financial reviews as appropriate.
20. Perform any other related duties
3. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting/Administration; Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets and accounting software. More than 5 years of experience in relevant field;
4. Skills and Competencies
• Knowledge of sun systems accounting software or other accounting platform
• Ability to work well with others, under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
• Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities. Strong service orientation.
• Analyze fiscal data and draw logical conclusions
• Define accounting problems and recommend effective solutions
• Detect possible weakness of internal control and standard accounting procedures
Language requirements: Able to speak and understand the English language
Tenure of Appointment: (12) twelve months renewable subject to availability of fund and performance
Expected time to Start Duty: Immediately
How to apply:
This is a local position; eligible applications from Sudan Nationals who meet the profile stated should apply through the following address:
Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD Tel: 25321 354050
Fax: (253) 21356994,(253)21353520
Please write the vacancy announcement number and kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer; female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply””