Monthly Archives: December 2012

Ruacana farmer loses all her livestock due to drought

RUACANA: A livestock farmer from the Ovikange village has lost her entire herd of 47 goats and flock of 15 sheep due to the ongoing drought situation in the Ruacana area of the Omusati Region.

Elise Mutilwa told Nampa on enquiry over the weekend at the Otjovanatje village that she subsequently had to lay off her livestock herder as he had no more work, and closed her kraal.

“The livestock did not all die at the same time. It started with the old once first and then it continued to the young once. I was losing two to three animals per day,” she said.

Mutilwa noted that the cause of the drought is the poor rainfall received in the area last year, and to make matters worse, illegal fencing in the Ovikange village makes it difficult for livestock to access grazing areas.

“Currently, the animals have to walk a very long distance around the fenced-off areas to get to a place where there is grass and again have to go another long distance to drink water,” added Mutilwa.

She also lost three cows at her cattle post in the Etoto village, and feeds the remaining three calves with dissolved powder milk through a bottle.

“This is the worse misfortune in my entire life – losing all the livestock including the goat ram due to the drought,” said a sad Mutilwa.

The Ruacana Constituency together with four constituencies in the Kunene Region – Opuwo, Epupa, Sesfontein and Khorixas – have been declared drought stricken by President Hifikepunye Pohamba earlier this year.

Unfortunately, only a few people were considered for drought relief food – maize meal and nothing else.

Government officials have also advised them to sell their livestock and keep the money in banks to replace the livestock when the situation gets better.

The drought relief programme will come to an end at the end of February 2013.

City readies for New Year’s Bash

WINDHOEK: Over 8 000 are expected to attend this year’s New Year’s Eve Bash along Independence Avenue tonight.

One of the event coordinators, Matengu Katukula from the City of Windhoek told Nampa on enquiry Monday that a similar number of people attended last year’s event at the Sam Nujoma Stadium.

This year’s event will take place in front of the municipal building Independence Avenue between Sam Nuyoma Drive and Garten Street.

He noted that people will be searched for weapons and alcohol upon entering the venue, adding that party goers can get food and drinks from traders at the venue.

In order to ensure the safety of citizens, the Namibian Police Force and City Police will patrol the event which ends shortly after midnight, according to Katukula.

“We have also hired a security company who will supply about 30 guards,” said Katukula.

The bash includes live music performances by local artists such as Tequila, PDK, Big Ben and Tate Buti, while a huge fireworks display also forms part of the event to welcome in the new year.

The event kicks off at 18h00, and entrance is free.

It will also be shown live on Namibian Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) television.

City’s New Year’s fireworks display well planned

WINDHOEK: Windhoek residents will be treated to a colourful fireworks display on Monday evening as they bid farewell to 2012 and to welcome 2013.

The City of Windhoek has made provisional arrangements for the area in front of the City of Windhoek building along Independence Avenue in the city centre to be used for the New Year’s bash on Monday evening, and as usual, residents can also expect a live music show by local artists.

Speaking to Nampa on Monday, the explosives expert contracted by the City of Windhoek, George Kuhn said the event is well planned and much excitement is expected.

He said the fireworks will be fired electronically.

“Electronic firing is the safest way, compared to hand-lighted fireworks,” he said.

Kuhn has warned the public to refrain from using hand-lighted fireworks since they are dangerous and mostly end in burn wounds.

The fireworks will be set off behind the City of Windhoek building, and members of the public are not allowed to come near the fireworks site.

“By law the distance between the site and people must be 100 metres, and we are going to enforce that,” he stated.

The four and a half minute fireworks display will start at exactly 00h00, and will consist of low noise explosives to minimise the psychological effects to both people and animals.

Kuhn also advised the public not to bring any other explosives to the site.

Coptic Christian church attacked in Libya

MISRATA: Libya’s small Christian community was in shock yesterday after an attack on a Coptic church near the city of Misrata killed two Egyptians and fanned fears of rising extremism.

Coptic priest Markos Zaglul Bulos, who took over the Mar Girgis (St George) church in 2004, said they heard the explosion which struck a side room of the church used for services when they were praying.

An AFP photographer reported about 150 people gathered in the main prayer hall lined with wooden panels depicting Christian saints.

The stone church in the Mediterranean town of Dafinya, just west of Misrata, was built between 1936 and 1937 during Italian colonial rule and hundreds of Egyptians regularly attended services, according to the priest.

Christians of all denominations expressed their sorrow, and some voiced fear of a rise in sectarian sentiment in the overwhelmingly Muslim nation following the 2011 revolt that toppled dictator Moamer Kadhafi and in which hardline Islamists played a major part.

Omaheke satisfied with Grade 10 results

GOBABIS: The Gobabis Town Council will do its best to secure places in the town’s old age homes for displaced elderly people who live under inhumane conditions in the town’s informal settlements.

Gobabis mayor Sila Bezuidenhoudt said this during a Christmas luncheon for the elderly here a week ago that the council was aware that some of its elderly residents are languishing in extremely difficult situations at their homes, where they receive little or no proper care.

She noted that although the old age homes at the town might not have sufficient places to accommodate everyone, council will make sure that the frail and most vulnerable senior citizens are accommodated there.

Bezuidenhoudt said it is really disheartening to see how the elderly are living, adding that being the same people that had paved a smooth future for them which they are enjoying to this day, they deserve to spend their old age in peace.

The mayor, however, warned that due to limited space, only those in urgent need for the specialised care offered by an old age home will be considered.