Daily Archives: November 19, 2012

Temporary suspension of forest permits still on

WINDHOEK: The temporary suspension for the issuing of forest permits for sawn timber is still in place.

The Minister of Agriculture, Water and Forestry, John Mutorwa said during a media conference on Monday that the public will know before the festive period when this moratorium will be lifted. The restriction on cutting timber is applicable to both declared and non-declared community forests.

In August this year, the Mbunza Traditional Authority in the Kavango Region unearthed large consignments of forest produce allegedly illegally harvested in the Mbunza communal area.

The 600 poles and 90 planks were confiscated at the villages of Mile 20, Mile 30, Mbeyo and Epingiro within the Mbunza Authority. All four villages are situated south of Rundu. Three trucks enroute to Oshikango in the Ohangwena Region were spotted transporting these planks.

The illegal timber was discovered after several complaints from community members were received about individuals who were cutting down trees without permits.

A man and a woman, who were interrogated by the Mbunza Traditional Authority, admitted to having cut down trees without permission.

The forest products are sold for N.dollars 10 per pole. Most of the illegally-harvested timber is apparently sold at Oshikango, and exported to places such as South Africa and the Calai village in Angola, where it is then sold at exhorbitant prices.

Mutorwa said the illegal harvesting of timber in Namibia is part of a syndicate with a “foreign element”.
He said earlier investigations by his Ministry into the matter discovered that a suspect from foreign origin appeared in court, paid bail and then promptly disappeared.

Windhoek resident arrested last year for assaulting her English husband to be informed of trial date

WINDHOEK: A Windhoek resident who was arrested last year for allegedly assaulting her English husband and violating a domestic violence restraining order, will be informed of her trial date in June next year.

The 31-year-old Kaunapawa Helvi Crowley made another appearance before Windhoek Magistrate Tuvoye Nuule along Lüderitz Street here this morning when her case was remanded until 20 June 2013 for the fixing of the trial date.

The case was remanded until next June as per an agreement reached by Public Prosecutor Amize Adams and Kaunapawa’s defence lawyer, attorney Jan Wessels.

Her bail of N.dollars 5 000, which was granted on 17 November 2011 by Windhoek Magistrate Ingrid Lerato Unengu upon the conclusion of her formal bail application, was also extended until her next court appearance in June next year.

Kaunapawa allegedly assaulted her husband, the 59-year-old David Crowley who is a businessman from England, in their home in Ludwigsdorf in the capital on 15 October last year. Crowley faces one charge of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

MARIENTAL: The combined efforts of firefighters and the Namibian Police Force (NamPol) in the Hardap and Karas regions have helped to put out a veld fire that started in the Salkenhorst area on Friday. Salkenhorst is situated more than 30 kilometres south of Mariental.

The teams finally managed to extinguish the fire last night after it had been raging for two days. The police are still investigating the actual cause of the fire, but current suspicions are that it might have been caused by a burning cigarette butt that was tossed into the grass.

The fire is estimated to have destroyed a grazing area of more than 10 000 hectares, mostly in the Salkenhorst area, as well as on a few farms in the Gibeon area south of Mariental.

Swapo is not for sale”: Ngurare

WALVIS BAY: The Swapo-Party Youth League (SPYL) leader on Sunday said vice-president candidate Jerry Ekandjo’s campaign is clean and that Swapo is not for sale.

SPYL Secretary Elijah Ngurare said this during a rally hosted at the Kuisebmund Sports Stadium here in honour of Ekandjo’s campaign to gain support in a bid to become the next Swapo-Party vice-president and eventually Namibian president.

Addressing a crowd of about 250 people, Ngurare said the Swapo Party was formed on objectives that are laid on a strong and unshakable foundation. “Amongst these is respect, regardless of race and tribe,” he said.

Ngurare further said that the recent strikes in the country are being orchestrated to render the Swapo Party irrelevant. “If these aims and objectives are being sold, then we are betraying the revolution.

In Swapo positions are not for sale. If you have been promised a prominent position you must retract that, and if you have been offered a ministerial position, it is not true,” he said.

Ngurare added that if someone has a lot of money to pay the Swapo Party for favours, that person should bring the money so that programmes for youth empowerment could be implemented, “but the money will not be used to sell what Swapo stands for”. “Swapo is the only democratic party in Namibia,” he said matter-of-factly.

Also speaking during the rally, Minister of Foreign Affairs and a candidate for Swapo’s Secretary-General position, Utoni Nujoma, explained during his introductory remarks of Ekandjo that the rally is to show the public who the candidates are, so that the “correct” people are voted for.

The elections will be done during the 5th Swapo-Party Congress scheduled to take place from 29 November to 02 December this year.

Nujoma said Ekandjo sacrificed a great deal for this country, and there is no reason why he cannot become the president of Namibia.

In the meantime, sources with Swapo’s Erongo structures revealed that there is a division within the region with regards to two vice-president hopefuls – Ekandjo and Dr Hage Geingob. The sources told this reporter on Sunday that some people within the party here support Geingob while others back Ekandjo. The other vice-presidential candidate is Justice Minister Pendukeni-Iivula Ithana.

Nudo President says his party did everything to win Tsumkwe by-elections

OTJIWARONGO: National Unity Democratic Organisation (Nudo) President Kuaima Riruako says his party did everything in its power to win the Tsumkwe by-election, but the Swapo-Party was too difficult to beat.

Riruako said this after being asked to comment on the Tsumkwe Constituency by-election which took place on Friday. His party was thought to be one of the strong contenders for the regional councillor position which was contested in the by-election.

He told Nampa yesterday that they did whatever they could to win the Tsumkwe by-election, but it has just become so difficult to beat the Swapo Party.

The by-election was won by the Swapo-Party’s Francina Hishekwa-Ghauz won the election with 1 515 votes, followed by Nudo’s Alex Kandetu with 1 036 votes. About 6 735 people registered to vote, but only 3 283 cast their votes on Friday.

WINDHOEK: A former Pupkewitz MegaBuild employee who in July this year was sent to jail for an effective five years will only hear a response on his application for legal aid next year.

The response on his application for a State-sponsored lawyer from the Justice Ministry’s Directorate of Legal Aid to represent him in his planned appeal application will be made known on 04 February next year.

State Advocate Anne-Marie Lategan told presiding High Court Judge Nate Ndauendapo this morning that the prosecution has not yet received any response from the Directorate of Legal Aid up to now, and they are still waiting for a response from this office.

The matter was thereafter remanded until 04 February next year in order to enable the Directorate of Legal Aid to appoint a lawyer to represent him at his planned appeal application to have both his conviction and sentence reduced.

The 36-year-old Shivute was on 16 July this year sent to jail for an effective five years after he admitted that he defrauded the company of more than N.dollars 1,9 million. Shivute wants to lodge an appeal against both the five-year-prison term and convictions, he earlier told High Court Judge Ndauendapo.

FaceBook Bar hosts Christmas Volleyball Fun Day

ONGWEDIVA: The FaceBook Bar and Carwash at Ondangwa, in partnership with Sammy Sports Consultant, will be hosting a Christmas Fun Day Volleyball 4-All tournament next month.

One of the tournament’s organisers, Sammy Mushelenga told Nampa on Monday that the two companies jointly sponsored the tournament with N.dollars 2 000 and gold, silver and bronze medals.

The tournament will take place at the FaceBook Bar and Carwash premises at Ondangwa on 08 December. It will be a 3-a-side (two men and one woman) tournament.

According to Mushelenga, the tournament is open to any interested volleyball players from the northern regions of Oshana, Ohangwena, Omusati and Oshikoto, but any other volleyball lovers, who might find themselves in northern Namibia at the time of the tournament, are also free to take part in the tournament.

The registration fee is N.dollars 150 per team. Another organiser of the tournament, Hillary Dux Imbuwa, explained that the registration fee is to be paid on or before 07 December.

“We, therefore, kindly invite all interested volleyball lovers to register and have fun with us during this festive season,” said Imbuwa.

The prizes are:

First place – a floating trophy, N.dollars 800, 15 gold medals;

Second place – N.dollars 600, 15 silver medals;

Third place – N.dollars 300, 15 bronze medals;

Fourth place – N.dollars 300.