By: Hope Abah
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has distributed 72 per cent of the Permanent Voters Card (PVC) to its owners in Benue State, while the remaining 28 per cent are lying in the 23 local government area councils in the state awaiting collection.
Former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Yusuf Baba Abba, in an interview with our correspondent in Makurdi, admitted that the major challenge facing the distribution of the PVC in the state was the inability of the people to come out and pick their cards.
He said the commission was bothered by the fact that despite mass campaign to educate the people on the need to visit their various council headquarters to collect their PVC so as to exercise their franchise in the 2015 elections, they refused to do so.
Abba said the commission was now looking at the possibility of taking the cards to the ward level in order to bring the collection centre closer to the people.
The REC expressed optimism that when the collection centres were brought closer to people, the remaining 28 per cent would be successfully disbursed.
SOURCE: DAILY TRUST