Theme: One People, One Destiny
The Heads of State consulted on the situation in Burundi. At the time they were consulting, there were new developments in Burundi:
1. Summit condemns the coup in Burundi and calls for the return to constitutional order.
2. Given the situation in Burundi, conditions are not conducive for elections in Burundi and the Summit calls upon the authorities to postpone the elections for period not beyond the mandate of the current government.
3. As the region continues to consult with all stakeholders to make sure that the situation in Burundi normalises and elections can be held in a free, fair and peaceful manner in respect of the constitution of Burundi, the law as of Burundi and the Arusha Peace and Reconciliation Agreement the Summit condems violence and calls on all parties to make sure that violence stops.
4. The region will not accept nor standby if violence does not stop or escalates in Burundi.
5. The Summit will reconvene soon to review the situation in Burundi.
Issued by: The Presidency
Source : South African Government