ABUJA: THE Military said an exclusive coordinated air campaign had taken over from ground forces in Monguno, the latest town Boko Haram terrorists have captured.
It added that an extensive cordon and search was ongoing as part of the mopping up operation to determine details of the heavy casualties suffered by the terrorists.
According to a statement from the Defense Headquarters in Abuja on Monday, troops had to retreat from the location after the Brigade Commander and some of the troops were wounded while repelling terrorists attack on the town.
It added that calm had been restored in Maiduguri and Konduga while operation continues with patrols and surveillance. Scores of the terrorists have died in the course of the attack, while many of them were also captured with wounds, the military stated.
An armoured vehicle and the heavy artillery gun, as well as some machine guns and other weapons were captured from the fleeing terrorists.
“Three cars loaded with explosives were also destroyed, ” the statement said.
The statement said some of the troops who were wounded during the attack had been evacuated for appropriate medical treatment. Borno has been the state worst affected by the Boko Haram terror.
The militant group wants to carve out an Islamic state in the West African country, the most populous in the continent. Thousands have died and 1 million displaced as a result of the terror.
SOURCE: CAJ NEWS AGENCY