JOHANNESBURG: SOUTH African Police Service (SAPS) says it has finally contained lawlessness in Soweto and Kagiso where locals looted foreign owned shops.
Gauteng provincial police spokesman, Lieutenant General Solomon Makgale, said the law enforcement agency arrested 178 suspects with 83 of these having appeared at the Protea Magistrates court.
Lt-Gen Makgale said most of the suspects were remanded in custody to 28-29th January 2015 while six of the juvenile suspects were released into the custody of their parents pending their appearance in court.
“All the remaining 95 suspects including the juveniles will appear in the Kagiso and Protea Magistrates courts tomorrow (Monday) on charges mainly of public violence and possession of suspected stolen property,” he said.
“SAPS members are still deployed in large numbers and will continue to monitor the situation. We had prepared ourselves though for a funeral that took place in Braamfischerville yesterday. The situation in the area was tense due to the circumstances under which the 19-year-old was killed, everything went well.” Makgale said thus far, there had been no further reports of looting.
“Kagiso was also relatively peaceful but tense following an incident where the people broke the wall of a tuck shop in an attempt to loot. A quick response from the police thwarted these efforts,” Lt-Gen Makgale said.
He said despite the situation being calm, police would continue monitoring the situation.
“We also encourage members of the public to report incidents of looting and also for shop owners not to take the law into their own hands,” he said.
SOURCE: CAJ NEWS AGENCY