Calm was restored to areas looted last week in attacks on foreign-owned stores in Soweto. While the state has warned against more attacks, GREG NICOLSON amp BHEKI C. SIMELANE spoke to some of those affected, who fled with only the clothes on their backs and money in their pocket.
“We lost everything,” says Muhammed Khorshid Alom, from Bangladesh, at the Friendship Supermarket near Wanderers taxi rank in Johannesburg.
On Friday at 20:00, the 31-year-old’s CTM Store in Naledi, Soweto, was broken into and looted of what he estimates was R80-90,000 in stock. Alom points at his jeans and t-shirt, the only possessions he was able to take with him when he fled. He was able to escape and got a lift from locals who dropped him at the Jabulani Mall. From there, he caught a taxi to town, where he has been staying since, sleeping at a different person’s home every night.
Alom hasn’t been back to see his store, but knows everything will be gone by now: his clothes, blankets, stock, everything. “They’ll shoot us, that’s why we didn’t go [back],” he says.
Since a foreign store owner killed 14-year-old Siphiwe Mahori a week ago during the looting of…
Source : Daily Maverick