The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Government and eThekwini Metro have reached an agreement with representatives of the displaced African immigrants at the Isipingo shelter to relocate them to the shelter in Chatsworth.
The agreement, which was reached on Tuesday evening, marks the shutdown of the Isipingo shelter, which accommodated the remaining 200 displaced African immigrants.
Chairperson of the Provincial Inter-Ministerial task team for displaced African immigrants, MEC Willies Mchunu, said he was pleased that the matter has been amicably resolved through dialogue with full co-operation from all stakeholders.
“The displaced persons at the Isipingo shelter have agreed to be relocated to the Chatsworth shelter by no later than 6pm today. This will ensure that government rationalises the provision of services at the remaining shelter in Chatsworth and also fast-track the process of reintegration,” said Mchunu.
Mchunu said all parties agreed to respect the laws governing South Africa. Government will continue to work with embassies to facilitate the process of repatriation for those who wish to return to their countries of origin.
The African immigrants will also continue to receive social and essential services at the shelter in Chatsworth.
Erection of illegal makeshift structures
Meanwhile, government has condemned the erection of illegal makeshift structures at the shelter in Isipingo warning that it was against the law and inhumane for people to live under unhygienic conditions, especially women and children.
Deputy Mayor of eThekwini Metro Nomvuzo Shabalala appealed to the communities to work with government in ensuring that the reintegration process proceeds swiftly.
“As government we are going to work together with all stakeholders to find solutions and hopefully we will move with speed on matters of reintegration,” said Shabalala.
No incidents of violence have been reported in the province in the past three weeks.
Police said they are investigating all criminal incidents involving those who had been behind the attacks and looting of the property of African immigrants.
A total of 432 incidents have been reported to the police. These include 265 registered cases and a total of 225 arrests. Fifty-seven cases are currently before the courts. – SAnews.gov.za
Source : SAnews.gov.za