The Deputy Minister of Basic Education, Mr Enver Surty is deeply saddened at the news of two horrific road accidents in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN). The first near Pietermaritzburg in KwaZulu-Natal that claimed at least seven young lives and left 18 people injured on Wednesday.
It has been reported that the learners were being transported on the back of a bakkie which crashed into a house and overturned.
This was followed by another collision involving a taxi carrying school children in Umlazi on Thursday morning where 21 school children were injured.
“This tragic loss of our children is devastating and unnecessary, everyone needs to play their part to ensure that our children are transported in safe and suitable modes of transport, and be aware they are transporting our national assets” said Surty.
He has urged transport authorities to take strong action against those who put learners lives at risk through utilising unroadworthy or unsuitable modes of transportation to ferry children to and from school.
The incidents highlight the importance of the learner road safety education initiative launched by the Minister of Transport and the Minister of Basic Education just last week in Cape Town.
“This is a harrowing way to start the school year and I wish to convey my heartfelt condolences to those who have lost loved ones in this tragic collision,” said Surty.
The Deputy Minister also wishes those who were injured in both collisions a swift and speedy recovery.
Cell: 079 899 3070
SOURCE: SOUTH AFRICAN OFFICIAL NEWS