The Ministry of Justice and Correctional Services says it has taken note of media reports that say the medical parole board has recommended Clive Derby-Lewis to be released from custody.
The ministry on Tuesday said the process of considering the medical parole application of the said offender has not been concluded.
“In line with Section 79 of the Correctional Services Act, Act 111 of 1998, such a decision will be communicated accordingly by the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Aocate Michael Masutha, on Friday, 30 January 2015.
“We are, therefore, unable to comment on these reports,” the department said in a statement.
Derby-Lewis was jailed for his role in the murder of SA Communist Party General Secretary Chris Hani on 10 April 1993.
He provided the gun Polish immigrant Janusz Walus used to kill Chris Hani at his home, in Boksburg, on the East Rand.
He has made various bids for parole since June 2010. Derby-Lewis lodged an urgent application for his immediate release from prison and was postponed indefinitely by the North Gauteng High Court last year.
He was admitted to hospital suffering from a range of medical problems. He has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.
Source : SAnews.gov.za