Cape Town Roses Crowned 2014 Sasol League National Champions

Cape Town Roses were crowned 2014 Sasol League National champions on Sunday, 14 December 2014 at the Isaac Wolfson stadium in Port Elizabeth.

Roses beat three times champions, Palace Super Falcons 2-1 to clinch the title for the first time. The team from Cape Town put on an impressive display on the day.

A second half brace by former Banyana Banyana player, Nocawe Skiti handed Roses the trophy, while second half substitution, Gugu Gabuza got the goal for Falcons.

Both teams had not lost in any of their matches leading to the final.

Cape Town Roses were going with the wind direction in the first stanza, giving them an aantage in their attacking. They got their first shot at goal in the 2nd minute of the game.

Falcons retaliated five minutes later, but Chatelle Esau’s on target shot hit the cross-bar in the 8th minute. A minute later, Roses keeper, Nthabiseng Masute made a great save from Martha Mokoma’s close range shot.

Roses got another chance at opening the scoring in the 43rd minute, but Falcons keeper, Morwane Molale was alert to handle Thembeka Magxidolo’s shot, taking the score locked at 0-0 going into the half time break.

With the wind subsiding a bit in the second half, Falcons were looking to get their goals as they were in the aantage of attacking in the direction of the wind, but Roses were the first to open the scoring.

The Falcons defenders were caught on the counter in the 50th minute. Tournament leading goal scorer, Nocawe Skiti made no mistake as she slotted past the Falcons keeper.

With the pressure mounting on Falcons, Captain Nothando Vilakazi missed a chance to level the score in the 59th minute.

Roses came close to extending their lead in the 61st minute, but Nandipha Booi’s effort was saved by the Falcons keeper.

Falcons were again caught on the counter in the 71st minute. Skiti beat the Falcons defenders with pace, looping the ball over the keeper in her final pass, making it 2 – 0.

Gabuza slotted one in for Falcons in the 86th minute as they pushed forward to catch-up, but Roses stood their ground.

Source : South African Football Association