Cabinet has welcomed the reopening of the land claims process.
The Restitution of Land Rights Amendment Act was signed into law last week by President Jacob Zuma. It provides claimants, who initially missed the 1998 deadline, with another five years to lodge land claims. “Whilst approximately 80 000 land restitution claims were lodged by the 1998 deadline, it is estimated that there are up to five times as many valid cases that can be brought by victims of apartheid-era forced removals,” said Communications Minister Faith Muthambi on Thursday.
Speaking at a post Cabinet briefing in Pretoria, the minister said South Africans should spread the message of this legislation to ensure that victims of land dispossession come forward to lodge their land claims.
The claims window is from 1 July 2014 until 30 June 2019.
Source : SAnews.gov.za