By: Yahaya Ibrahim
Residents of Monguno and other communities surrounding Baga in Borno State are fleeing to Maiduguri in droves, for fear of fresh attacks by Boko Haram insurgents.
Baga was sacked on Saturday after a fierce battle between insurgents and members of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).
Some residents of Monguno told our correspondent that they decided to flee the area to Maiduguri because they no longer felt safe.
Aji Mari, one of the fleeing residents said: “Almost all the towns in northern Borno have been sacked by the Boko Haram, and the information we got from people that escaped from Baga is that they are going to come for us.”
Another resident, Mala Mohammed, said he fled with members of his family.
“It is sad that government cannot protect us from these rampaging insurgents who delight in taking innocent lives,” he said.
Meanwhile the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said it had so far registered 1,636 people who were displaced from Baga and neighbouring communities following insurgents attack in the area.
North-east Information Officer of NEMA, Ibrahim Abdulkadir, who disclosed this to newsmen in Maiduguri, said the registration exercise was ongoing.
According to him, NEMA in conjunction with State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and other stakeholders had provided the displaced people beddings and other items.
“Those that were ill have been given medication. All hands are on deck to attend to the needs of the people,” he said.
He said majority of the people that fled Baga attack went to Chad, adding that the agency was planning to evacuate them back to the country.
“Recently, NEMA team was dispatched to Chad, Cameroon and Niger to ascertain the number of displaced Nigerians in those countries. Those who are willing to come back will be evacuated back to Nigeria.”
SOURCE: DAILY TRUST